In the winter time I have a lot less energy and very little motivation. I'm sure many of you are the same. I think this is because the cold weather makes my blood freeze and thus causes me to just want to crawl under a duvet to keep warm. Today the temperature was -27 C.
The cold weather also affects my desire to do craft work because I like doing my work outside, where I can be messy and in the warm sunshine. My brain is always ready to work on DIY projects, but my ice cold body says "naaah maybe when it warms up." However this week, I felt slightly motivated to work on a project.
I guess it also doesn't help that what will be my crafting space is currently still under construction, and sitting at the coffee table with my sewing machine is not as handy.
I found this great piece in Value Village for a mere $8. It's missing two drawers, but when placed properly, who cares right?
Here's what I did:
1. I did nothing here. I just wanted you to see the before.
2. Removed the drawers. They actually held Cd's so I peeled those out with a butter knife.
3. I printed out some old looking images that I liked, and cut them to the same size as the front of the drawers.
4. I lined up my drawers on my kitchen counter
5. I made a paper mache mix (flour, water,salt) and coated the drawer fronts with a layer to give a slight texture
6. I paper mached the images with 3 coats of the mix allowing it to dry between coats.
7. I placed the drawers back in the the stand and Voila!
I still need to touch up the chipped corners, maybe with a bit of brown paint just to disguise it a bit. I plan on removing the legs and placing just the drawer section on top of my crafting table as I will be using it for my crafting notions.