Friday, July 22, 2011

In with the old, out with the new.

Ingo-bought at Ikea
 
Although I really like the clean look of modern furniture, there is something about the texture and look of old pieces that I really like. 
I recently bought a hand held sander of my own and thought I should try it out, so I started a new project: converting my Ikea Ingo table into an older rustic table. (The colour of this table is inspired by the Bekvam Ikea cart remake which can be found at http://www.homeroad.net  which is another great blog).
I had to purchase some materials I needed so I went to Rona. I didn't take a list with me as it was only a couple of items: paint, nails, tape and sandpaper for my new sander. I spent quite some time looking for the right can of paint: white and cheap. Rona should make small cans of recycled paint because the other stuff is expensive. I found the chain I had to purchase. It costs $160 for the roll...I got a rather questionable look when I told the sales clerk I only need a foot. I guess not too many people buy only a foot of a heavy-ish chain. I purchased the wrong nails. I didn't notice until I got home that I had purchased concrete nails. I did notice however that I forgot to purchase tape. I guess I should have brought a list after all. However after making sure I had all the materials, it was time to begin this new project.

tape..then paint
                                                                                                                                                                               The first thing I did was tape the edges of the table top and then painted the legs and skirt of the table white. 
Because it was unbelievably hot hot outside, I didn't even have to wait for the first coat to dry before applying the second.


sand the legs and skirt

I then used a heavy-ish chain and a hammer to beat the entire table giving it an older look.
This was followed by sanding the top, the skirt and the legs of the table to wear off some of the paint and the old stain that was left on the table so that it looks more natural. 

sand the top

I added tacks to each leg and the corners of the table top as well as some randomly placed tacks to give it and old used wood look. Lastly I added 3 tacks to the centre of each side for decorative purposes.

add some random nails
add nails to the corners
add nails to the legs
                   a little decorative touch












    all finished!
The look of the table brightens the room up nicely!

1 comment: